Topic: Warnings using Express for Windows Desktop edition

Hello,

I followed your instructions to build oofem.exe on wiki page using cmake and visual studio express free version.  It says 8 build succeeded, guess because these are the ticked ones.  Oofem was created successfully.

But there were warnings, as you see in the attached.  Is this a matter for concern because you say that this studio version is fully compatible with C++11?  Or am I missing some flags, etc. please?

Thanks a lot.
Suresh

Post's attachments

Warnings.txt 32.43 kb, 4 downloads since 2015-06-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Warnings using Express for Windows Desktop edition

These are harmless. The biggest concern is that you might not see relevant warnings because you have been overwhelmed by meaningless warnings.

Also, you have an older OOFEM release, so many of these warnings have been adjusted already (though I'm sure there are still many more). I think it's very important to have no warnings as a goal, but unfortunately, most developers are not windows users, and we aren't aware that VS complains about these things.

A few of these we should turn off (and I'm doing that right now).

Hi Mikael,

Thank you for the clarification.  I downloaded the source code from http://www.oofem.org/en/download/download.html

Is this not the latest?  Or did you mean I should have downloaded it from Git repository?

Thanks,
Suresh

I mean the git repo.
We are very overdue for a 2.4 release as well.

Ok, I will use that one.  Thanks again.

Hi Mikael,

When I run in debug mode, I get only one error, which is the following. 

Error 156 error LNK1248: image size (8000008E) exceeds maximum allowable size (80000000)

Did you encounter the same.  But when I run in release mode I have no such problems.

Could this be fixed with some flags and where exactly please?  I am afraid this is too high a number?

Thank you

The debug build has all the debug symbol information, so it might be bigger when linking.

These seem to happen when someone uses big, statically allocated data. But I don't think we have made that mistake anywhere in OOFEM.  It's just that building all of OOFEM is quite large, and with some external libraries linked in (statically)  it might very well exceed the 2GB limit in Windows.

Possible workaround; Only select the components of OOFEM that you need to work with, like only building the SM module. Could very well be that this doesn't help.

What are the options you are using when configuring oofem (running cmake)?

It is only happening with sm, because I unticked fm and tm.  I have not defined any options in cmake (such as suppress dev warnings, etc...).

Please see attached.

Post's attachments

Warnings.txt 26.34 kb, 7 downloads since 2015-06-19 

So, this is still oofem 2.3?
The warning text you have attached is linking fine.  There is no LNK1248 error there.

When you get the linking error, I'd like to see the file sizes to see if there are any object files (*.obj files) which are unreasonably large.
I don't know exactly where VS puts the object files, but if you search your build folder for "misesmat.obj" or "misesmat.C.obj" you should be able to find all of them.

I've checked the object file size (under linux with GCC) for all the files in the SM-library, and nothing sticks out maximum size is just around 2MB with a total of less than 400MB.

It could very well be the case that there are just to much code in the SM module (which is the largest module).
If all the object files just tally up to way to high when building with debug symbols in, I don't know any simple solution.

I am not sure why it is still oofem 2.3, I followed the exact instructions in the wiki page for the development version.

I downloaded git, and then used the following command:

git clone http://www.oofem.org/git/oofem.git oofem.git 

I then got oofem.git directory loaded.  Is this not the right approach?  Or should I have also used the next command?

git checkout -b develop origin/develop 

The sum of all *.obj files is 2.64 GB.  I always thought that 64 bit machines gives static memory of 4 GB but I may be wrong.  I have attached the list of object files for your ready reference please.

Thanks again.

Post's attachments

Obj files.zip 1006.62 kb, 4 downloads since 2015-06-20 

OK, I just wasn't sure which version you were compiling.

It seems that the limit of library sizes (maximum DLL size, 2GB) has nothing to do with the architecture, it's the same limit still, and it can't be fixed. But we really shouldn't be hitting this limit, and I'd like to try to understand the problem.

The troubling part here is that so many of these files seem to have an extra ~10MB each. Almost all of them are around 12-13MB, while some has a more reasonable 1-3MB size.
For example, structtemperatureload.C is only 1 function with just 1 (!) line of code, yet the object file is still ~12MB, and, for example, structural2delement.C has 500 lines, but is only 2MB.

I tried to find something in common with the files that aren't that big, and the only thing that I came across was that none of them include the classfactory.
I have therefore made a modification to "lsmastermatgrad.C" (which was missing the classfactory header). If these extra ~10MB comes from the class factory, then lsmastermatgrad.obj should change from a meager 1,697MB to ~12-13MB as well.

Could you please pull down the latest changes in git, and check the file size of "lsmastermatgrad.obj" ?
It should now contain

#include "classfactory.h"
REGISTER_Material(LargeStrainMasterMaterial);

Just do a "git pull" in the oofem.git folder.

Hi Mikael,

Yes with the git pull, I find that lsmastermatgrad.C has shot to 12.556 Mb.  Now I get 5 errors as you see in the attached please.

Thank you.

Post's attachments

Warnings_errors.txt 26.92 kb, 2 downloads since 2015-06-21 

In the 5 errors, one of them is to do with stokesflowvelocityhomogenization.h.  Am I right that this may be due to deactivating FM from compilation?

Yes it is due to deactivating FM but not TM (stokesflow connects the two problems in a multi-scale setting).
I will correct that, until then, just deactivate TM as well (or activate FM).

OK, so the error has been isolated to the classfactory. To be able to further isolate the error, could you check to see what happens with the filesize in "lsmastermatgrad.C" if you remove the line:

REGISTER_Material(LargeStrainMasterMaterial);

(I'd like to know if it's the templates that add to the object size or something else in the header).

No, it does not make any difference by removing that statement, it is still 12.556 Mb.

Hmm, well, even if I found out exactly what part of classfactory was causing the large increase, I'm not sure what I would do about it even if i knew. This error is isolated to only MSVC debug builds, so it seems to belike a compiler performance bug. MSVC is hardly a good compiler in general in my experience.

There are a few things about the classfactory that might be the cause.
1. The templates.

template< typename T > Element *elemCreator(int n, Domain *d) { return new T(n, d); }
template< typename T > DofManager *dofmanCreator(int n, Domain *d) { return new T(n, d); }
template< typename T > GeneralBoundaryCondition *bcCreator(int n, Domain *d) { return new T(n, d); }
template< typename T > CrossSection *csCreator(int n, Domain *d) { return new T(n, d); }
template< typename T > Material *matCreator(int n, Domain *d) { return new T(n, d); }
template< typename T > EngngModel *engngCreator(int n, EngngModel *m) { return ( new T(n, m) ); }
template< typename T > Function *funcCreator(int n, Domain *d) { return new T(n, d); }
template< typename T > NonlocalBarrier *nlbCreator(int n, Domain *d) { return new T(n, d); }
template< typename T > ExportModule *exportCreator(int n, EngngModel *e) { return ( new T(n, e) ); }
template< typename T > SparseNonLinearSystemNM *nonlinCreator(Domain *d, EngngModel *m) { return ( new T(d, m) ); }
template< typename T > InitModule *initCreator(int n, EngngModel *e) { return ( new T(n, e) ); }
template< typename T > TopologyDescription *topologyCreator(Domain *d) { return new T(d); }

template< typename T > Dof *dofCreator(DofIDItem dofid, DofManager *dman) { return new T(dman, dofid); }
template< typename T > SparseMtrx *sparseMtrxCreator() { return new T(); }
template< typename T > SparseLinearSystemNM *sparseLinSolCreator(Domain *d, EngngModel *m) { return new T(d, m); }
template< typename T > ErrorEstimator *errEstCreator(int n, Domain *d) { return new T(n, d); }

template< typename T > LoadBalancer *loadBalancerCreator(Domain *d) { return new T(d); }
template< typename T > LoadBalancerMonitor *loadMonitorCreator(EngngModel *e) { return new T(e); }

// XFEM stuff
template< typename T > XfemManager *xManCreator(Domain *d) { return new T(d); }
template< typename T > EnrichmentItem *enrichItemCreator(int n, XfemManager *x, Domain *d) { return new T(n, x, d); }
template< typename T > EnrichmentFunction *enrichFuncCreator(int n, Domain *d) { return new T(n, d); }
template< typename T > EnrichmentDomain *enrichmentDomainCreator() { return new T(); }
template< typename T > BasicGeometry *geometryCreator() { return new T(); }
template< typename T > EnrichmentFront *enrichFrontCreator() { return new T(); }
template< typename T > PropagationLaw *propagationLawCreator() { return new T(); }

template< typename T > FailureCriteria *failureCriteriaCreator(int n, FractureManager *x) { return new T(n, x); }
template< typename T > FailureCriteriaStatus *failureCriteriaCreator(int n, FailureCriteria *x) { return new T(n, x); }

template< typename T > ContactManager *contactManCreator(Domain *d) { return new T(d); }
template< typename T > ContactDefinition *contactDefCreator(ContactManager *cMan) { return new T(cMan); }

2. The large amount of forward declarations.

class Domain;
class EngngModel;
class Element;
class DofManager;
class GeneralBoundaryCondition;
class CrossSection;
class Material;
class Function;
class NonlocalBarrier;
class ExportModule;
class SparseNonLinearSystemNM;
class InitModule;
class TopologyDescription;
class Dof;
class SparseMtrx;
class SparseLinearSystemNM;
class ErrorEstimator;
class InitialCondition;
class Patch;
class NodalRecoveryModel;
class SparseGeneralEigenValueSystemNM;
class IntegrationRule;
class MaterialMappingAlgorithm;
class MesherInterface;
class LoadBalancerMonitor;
class LoadBalancer;
class XfemManager;
class EnrichmentItem;
class EnrichmentFunction;
class EnrichmentDomain;
class BasicGeometry;
class EnrichmentFront;
class PropagationLaw;

class FractureManager;
class FailureCriteriaStatus;
class FailureCriteria;

class ContactManager;
class ContactDefinition;

3. The classfactory class itself.
It contains 29 std::map instance variables, but I don't see how that would make it into the object file when the classfactory isn't even used.

4. The header files that classfactory.h brings.

#include "oofemcfg.h"
#include "sparsemtrxtype.h"
#include "errorestimatortype.h"
#include "doftype.h"
#include "linsystsolvertype.h"
//#include "patch.h" // for PatchType
#include "nodalrecoverymodel.h" // for NodalRecoveryModelType
#include "integrationrule.h" // for IntegrationRuleType
#include "geneigvalsolvertype.h"
#include "materialmappingalgorithmtype.h"
#include "meshpackagetype.h"
#include "dofiditem.h"

#include <map>
#include <string>
#include <cstring>

I'm really just guessing at this point.

You could help me out by testing if doing any of these (and remove the #include "classfactory.h") makes up the difference in the file size.
(You would probably need to combine 1 and 2 to test 1.)
I'm betting it's 1 or 3 that's the cause.

Thanks for looking at the problem.  I have no clue because I am from f90 (Unix) background and in the last several years moved to commercial codes. 

So as a work around, I am compiling oofem in release mode, by putting print statements to get a feel for the evolution of parameters.

You should be able to build without a shared library (I don't know if the same limitations applies to executeable binaries.
Setting
USE_SHARED=OFF
when using CMake will deactivate the DLL.
Of course, this means it can't be used with Python, and has some other downsides. I avoid suggesting this, but I don't know what part of classfactory.h is causing the sharp increase (as it only seems to happen with MSVC)-

Thanks a lot.  Yes, it compiles, with one failure, which is associated with beam.exe not being formed (I don't need this), including oofem.dll.  I will see if debug works well.

Whilst on this subject, may I please ask how best to print out the following variables
double gt, gc, alpha_t, alpha_c; defined within
MazarsMaterial :: computeDamageParam(double &omega, double kappa, const FloatArray &strain, GaussPoint *gp)

I tried to print this through the existing print statement
IsotropicDamageMaterialStatus :: printOutputAt(FILE *file, TimeStep *tStep)
which currently prints parameters such as kappa, damage, etc...by extending the following code statement:

fprintf( file, "kappa %f damage %f crackVector %f %f %f gc %f gt %f alpha_c %f alpha_t %f", this->kappa, this->damage, this->crackVector.at(1), this->crackVector.at(2), this->crackVector.at(3), this->gc, this->gt, this->alpha_c, this->alpha_t); 

For this I modified the file isodamagemodel.h
class IsotropicDamageMaterialStatus : public StructuralMaterialStatus
by introducing adding additional lines within

{
protected:
    /// Scalar measure of the largest strain level ever reached in material.
    double kappa;
    /// Non-equilibrated scalar measure of the largest strain level.
    double tempKappa;
    /// Damage level of material.
    double damage;
    /// Non-equilibrated damage level of material.
    double tempDamage;
    /// gt
    double gt;
    /// gc
    double gc;
    /// alpha_t
    double alpha_t;
    /// alpha_c
    double alpha_c; 

The problem runs, but the *.out file generates just zero values for the additional variables only (original variables prints fine - see attached for just one time step).  I guessed may be because gc, gt, alpha_t, alpha_c may just be local variables within ComputeDamageParam, this may not be accessible by the above print statement. Because I am not yet familiar with the structure of your code, could you please correct me where I may have gone wrong and how to put things right. 

Your time is much appreciated.

Post's attachments

Print_additional_variables.zip 8.94 kb, 3 downloads since 2015-06-22 

Well, you have only declared some variables, but you never write any values to any of them.
When it comes to material status it's done in a few stages:

1. When the stress is evaluated (for some guess in the Newton-iterations) then the material model makes sure to store whatever state it needs for later in the material status. Typically the plastic strain. This is stored in a "temp" value, as we do not know if this is the final Newton-iteration.

2. When convergence (in the FE analysis) is obtained, the "updateYourself" function is called, and the material status should take care to overload whatever temporary status is stores into a equilibrated state. It typically looks like

this->plasticStrain =  this->tempPlasticStrain;

so that the temp values can safely be overwritten during the newton-iterations, while preserving the old equilibrated values.

3. When the tangent is requested, or some export module is used, then the material uses whatever it needs from the material status. "printOutput" is done after "updateYourself" for each time step.

Some things are cached as temporary variables, but are never stored as equilibrated values. This is typically if they are only needed to compute the tangent.
There is a rather minimal tutorial model, aptly named "tutorialmaterial.C", which is a minimal (but nontrivial) model which illustrates all of these concepts.

A few comments on C++. Inheritance we use mostly for extending common base classes.
If I make a new class that extends the base class, I overload whatever methods I'd like to change, and, in many cases, call the base class method

void
IsotropicDamageMaterialStatus :: printOutputAt(FILE *file, TimeStep *tStep)
{
    StructuralMaterialStatus :: printOutputAt(file, tStep); // This call the super-class
     // Here I can print additional things that i want, that is only applicable to my class.
}

You could do the same in MazarsMaterial. For debugging purposes, you are of course free to hack around in the code in whatever way you want, but in order to accept any additions, I'd probably like to see "gt" "gc" "alpha_t" and "alpha_c" added to MazarsMaterialStatus instead of it's super-super-class "IsotropicDamageMaterialStatus"
(if gt, gc, alpha_t, and alpha_c are sensible to add for all isotropic damage materials, then please adding them to the base class is of course fine).

Thanks a lot for explaining the structure of your code.  I will follow through the .C file.  The variables are not required to be printed always except in this instance because I am comparing yours with my implementation in a commercial code.  Thus I will not make any modifications for now.

Then the simplest is to declare the variables under "public:" in the headerfile, and remember to set write to them when the new values are obtained, e.g.

status->alpha_c = ....

This is simpler for me, thanks again Mikael.