Topic: Oofeg

Hi Borek,

two aditional issues regarding Oofeg.
View->Render shaded, Normal, Hidden doesn´t work.

Have a nice eastern.

Greetz Disco

Re: Oofeg

Hi Disco,

I am almost sure, that it works. After choosing any View->Render item, you have to select the particular view by pressenig left mouse key within that view. Then press right mouse button to end selection. OOFEG can open several views, and in each you can have different scene with different view settings.  You should always observe status window of OOFEG, since the active key and mouse bindings are shown here for each particular situation.

Try it, I hope that it will help. I wish you a nice eastern, too.
I will be back in office on Tuesday.

Borek

Hi Borek,

it works but now the mesh will disapear, if i select hidden, shaded and so on. only wired works.
So i think it is a graphical problem, but i compile without an error. its the same input that i used for the rectangular plate. Maybe u can try it by ur self.

Greetz

Hi Disco,

the use of hidden and shaded render modes requires turning on the solid fill mode. This is usually turned on by default, but this was missing for cct and rershell elements. You have two options:
1) download updated cct.C file from svn, which now turns the solid flag on, and recompile oofeg.
(http://www.oofem.org/websvn/listing.php … 9&sc=1).
2) alternatively, to turn the solid fill flag manually in oofeg (requires to run configure with --enable-oofeg-devel-interface to get full elixir interface, and then set fill flag on; requires some experience with elixir).

Borek

Hellow Borek,

I am Felipe, working at geophysics department of Univerzita Karlova v Praze. We have a project in which we are interested to use your software (it seems quite complete).

I have run the examples from the web page and oofem runs with zero error.
   I have the libraries Ckit and Elixir already compiled.

Then I run the graphical postprocessor OOFEG (I work in Linux always), and it runs without error but with a warning of unrecognized caracters in the input file, but properly with no errors. The problem is that I cannot obtain any displaying of a graphical window. I don't get any graph from the oofeg...

I don't know if the job context files created by oofem (I obtain two: one  _.osf, an other  _.out )  are precisely those that are meant to be given as input to oofeg.

Well, the main question is how to run oofeg and display graphical results in an X-window.

thank you Borek,

Felipe

Hi Felipe,

You are already quite close. OOFEG requires context files (*.osf), otherwise only geometry can be displayed, but on input it expects oofem input file (the same which is used for OOFEM).
You can run oofeg as "oofeg -f oofem_input_file", then graphical and control interface windows should appear.
You should start by reading solution for desired solution step. Follow <active-step> menu and choose <Seek step> or <Next step>. The latter will read the first available step if selected for the first time.
Then you can visualize the results related to active solution step.
I have already posted simple "oofeg readme" in one of my previous answers (see http://www.oofem.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=24#p24), which could be also helpful.

oofem also provides more convenient visualization (mainly for 3d applications) by providing export to vtk format. You can use several applications to visualize results in vtk format (mayavi, paraview).

Hope that this will help. If you will encounter problems, let me know.

Best regards from Prague,
Borek

Hellow Borek,
                         Ahoj !!!

Your help was properly fruitful, I was able in obtaining some results from the oofeg processor.

Well, sincerely I am rigth now stuck with the functioning of that graphical interface. I have run the two examples(plane stress and simple beam) and the results that I obtain are simply: the box with a coordinate system, and then, I try to use the commands for rotation zoom, etc., but they don't respond me, instead, I can rotate the system using other letters on the keyboard. Over that, I get no visual result particular to the issues that are calculated from oofem, I mean, there is no beam, no stress diagram.
I have been trying to get an answer from the documentation, I have read it to a large extent but as you say, there is no oofeg manual yet.

What is your opinion?

maybe I am missing some stage, or some package, procedure?

(as I told you I have Elixir and Ckit already compiled)

well, I hope you can help me,

warm regards, happily ever in Praha,

Felipe

Hi Felipe,

frankly saying, there is no support in oofeg for beam and truss visualization, except the geometry and deformations. The other elements are supported much better.  So assume for now, that you will work with your plane stress example.
1) start oofeg "oofeg -f oofem_input_file"
2) select <active Step>, then Next step. This will read first solution step, see terminal window for messages
3) to plot geometry: Mesh plot->Geom plot
4) to fit drawing inside graphical window, press SHIFT+middle_mouse_button while mouse pointer is inside graphical window
5) to rotate drawing, press Ctrl+Shift+left_mouse_button (while inside graphical window) and move with mouse (buttons still pressed)
6) to zoom window, just press left mouse button and draw zoom window.
7) other viewing commands are summarized in the link that I have provided in previous post

8)to display deformed shape, select <Deformations> then auto-scale to set scale first and then <Deformations> + def geom plot
9)to draw some stresses or strains, select <Variable plot>,<Scalar Plot>,<Stress or strain plot> and choose the stress component from the pop-up menu. The<Data Mode> menu inside <Variable plot> allows to select whether to visualize raw or smoothed data, while in <Plot algor> you can select type of visualization (isocontours, isosurfaces). But changes will not take effect automatically, you have to choose the stress/strain again.

The geometry, deformed shape, or variable plots are in different layers, you can turn on and off these layers in <Layers> menu, I again refer here to the link I have provided before for a description.
Also when you read another solution step, drawings are not automatically updated, unless selected in <active Step>  <Layer update>.

Try some of these hints, I hope that they will help you start with oofeg. The crucial step is whether you can read solution step data from *.osf file, any problem is reported in terminal window, from which you have invoked oofeg command. If this fails, then you can visualize only mesh, nothing more.

And as always, let me know.
Borek

Ahoj  Borek !

how are you?

well, thanks for your advices, those served me a lot. Finally a was able in making the graphs of the two examples, the plane stress and the beam. I have problems in ploting the stress or strain tensor components...it doesn't respond me...

Further than it, the posted examples are properly, on the response of ELASTIC bodies subjected to kinematical and dynamical conditions.

Well, can you advice me about something for working with fluids?  because your software is actually capable of calculate fluid dynamics (that is my purpose)

well, thanks,
                                           warm regards, in Praha,

Felipe

Hi Felipe,

it is nice that you have made some progress. If you still have some problems using oofeg, we can continue our discussion about this to find out the problem. Alternatively, since you are in Prague, you can come and we can discuss all problems more directly.
Just one note: if you are using four noded plane stress/strain elements, then before visualization of any internal variables, you must set up smoother type (<Variable-plot>-<set-smoother> and select one of ZZ  or SPR). This is because the default one is nodal averaging smoother, that is not supported by these elements).

What do you mean by ""advice about something for working with fluids"? If you want to have some simple examples, you can take a look at test files that come with oofem installation, they are located in  tests/fm directory. Of course, I can provide more examples, if you want. If you are interested in details of numerical implementation, I can send you paper(s) about this.

With best regards,
Borek.

Hello Borek:

Can you help me, please? I ran oofeg with the patch100.in file(2dplanestress) which is on test folder, but when I can see the drawing  stress I have some problems

At the first time I write

- ./oofeg -f patch100.IN
- active step-nextstep
-mesh plot - geom plot
-view- frame-fit all; just here there are not problems after I write
-variable plot- setssmoother-zzsmoother
-scalar plot -stress/force plot+sii, at this moment the oofeg display is closed and the message on the xterminal is:
Total number of solution steps 1
Instanciating domain                1
Instanciated nodes & sides          8
Instanciated elements               5
Instanciated cross sections         1
Instanciated materials              1
Instanciated BCs                    2
Instanciated ICs                    0
Instanciated load-time fncts        1
Consistency check                  ok
Restoring context for tStep 1.0
(Deleting layer 0 ...0/0) done
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

At the second time I choose the option sprsmoother instead of zzsmoother and appear the follow message and the whole geometry change to color blue

Total number of solution steps 1
Instanciated nodes & sides          8
Instanciated elements               5
Instanciated materials              1
Instanciated load-time fncts        1
Invalid delta in ColorSetupFringeTableByMinMax
(Deleting layer 3 ...5/0) done

Excuse me but I have other question, the element interface2dquad has 4 nodes or 6 nodes?

Thank  very much

Hi,

unfortunately, I can not replicate the problem when following your steps. What distribution are you using? I will try to find such an environment and hopefully I will be able to replicate the error.
Concerning interface element, I have recently updated online version of element library manual, see corresponding section for reference.

Borek

Hello Borek

Excuse me, but I did not understand your question about the distribution I use. It is strange because, for example  with  file test2001.in( in the folder test)  I can see the distribution stress, even if I have the same message(you can see below, please). I think that it is a environment problem, and I will try in other computer.

Thanks for help me

$ ./oofeg -f test2001.in
Total number of solution steps 20
Instanciated nodes & sides        444
Instanciated elements             799
Instanciated materials              2
Instanciated load-time fncts        2
(Deleting layer 3 ...799/0) done
(Deleting layer 0 ...1598/799) done
(Deleting layer 3 ...1598/799) done

Hi Aries,

I just want to find the problem and fix it - and for this I need to get the same error as you have obtained. Unfortunately, I followed the same steps with  patch100.in  on my computer and all is ok. I also suspect that this error can be related to environment you have using or related to your specific OS and distribution.
Please, keep me informed.

Borek

Hi Borek
I have a doubt, I constructed two targets at the moment of compiling oofeg and oofem, then I analyze the structure with the oofem and after I copied all the files to the place where I have oofeg to visualize them. Can this generate to me the problem that I have?

Hi Aries,

no, it should not. Only if the output file record is given with full path, this path needs to be changed to new location, in order oofeg being able to open *.osf files.

Also problems may happen if *.osf files (created by oofem) are created on different platform - *.osf files are binary ones.
For example: the move between 32 and 64 bit machine is not possible - *.osf files need to be recomputed on target platform.

Borek

Hi Borek

I cannot still shows the distribution stress in oofeg I tried in a desktop computer and  I had the same problem, the two computers have windows Xp with the cygwin(unix's emulator). What OS you use? I think that the time to throw the windows arrive.

Thanks

18 (edited by bp 04-12-2008 14:06:26)

Hi Aries,

I am using Linux os, particularly ubuntu distibution. I will have a look on this problem with cygwin next week.

Updated:
I have tried in Cygwin and I can replicate the problem. I will fix it soon, please stay tuned.
Borek

Hello Borek

I only say you thanks

Hi Aries,

It seems after some experiments that the problem observed on cygwin (and patch100.in) can be solved by upgrading the compiler. Once I have installed gcc (and g++) version 4.* under cygwin (via setup) and used this compiler to build oofeg, all works as it should.

To configure oofeg to use g++ ver 4. compiler (available as g++-4)  use CXX variable:

./configure OOFEM_TARGET=oofeg-release CXX=g++-4  --enable-oofeg --with-CKITDIR=/home/XX/Ckit/ --with-ELIXIRDIR=/home/XX/Elixir/ 

Borek