Topic: solving PDEs of a diffusion equation and a transport equation

OOFEM experts,

I am working on building a numerical model to solve a fluid transportation problem in rock (reservoir formation) near a drilling well.

The equations combines a diffusion equation for pressure and a transportation equation (at the moment, only convection). Both are time dependent. The transport equation solves a scalar which represents the fluid component volume fraction, and the fluid viscosity is a function of such scalar. Thus these two equation are coupled. The geometry is a domain around a section of a drilling well with one or more production holes on the well surface. More details are in the attached file.

Could you help to answer my following questions or give some suggestions about using OOFEM to solve my problem?
1. Do I have to use T3D to create the mesh in order to use OOFEM? Will the mesh generated from Gmsh work with OOFEM? Or mesh by Netgen?
2. Do you think OOFEM is suitable for my problem? What would be the challenges technically to apply OOFEM?
3. Do you know if there is any example similar to this? Examples of heat transfer problems solved by OOFEM would be very helpful.

Thanks and highly appreciate your help.

Yong Chang

Re: solving PDEs of a diffusion equation and a transport equation

1. Anything that can generate oofem input files can be used. I, and many other users, have used all kinds of tools (often custom scripts) for generating input files.
If you are looking for graphical tools, then T3D and Salome (export mesh to UNV) is your best options. Salome can use netgen for meshing.

2. I think your problem seems straightforward, and there should be no problem of implementing this in OOFEM.

3. There are coupled mass+heat transfer models in OOFEM.
The "Tetrah1_hmt" and "QuadAxisym1_hmt" element supports mass+heat, though I don't think we have any tests for them (and I'm not sure if there are material models that support mass+heat, Borek would know more).