Topic: Linear damper in spring

Dear all,
is in OOFEM the possibility to have a linear damper? I mean a spring element with a damping coefficient assigned to it, as to produce a damping in the model due to the element itself.

Re: Linear damper in spring

Hi,
at the moment, solvers support only Rayleigh type of damping,  where the damping is proportional to a linear combination of mass and stiffness. So you only have to choose proportionality coefficient(s) for Rayleigh damping. This is done at the solver level, not at the element level.

3 (edited by johnnyontheweb 17-05-2017 23:01:20)

Thanks for the reply, I set damping through the eta and delta coefficients.

I'm running into some issues with linear dynamic analyses. In the attached model (a simple frame made with beam in XZ plane) I get very different results with OOFEM and other solvers with the same model. Please see below the difference in displacement for node 7 (relative disp=disp of node 7 - ground displacement).

https://preview.ibb.co/b5Q9GQ/Dx_Comparison.png

I checked all the stiffnesses involved, and I get exactly the same results with a static analysis. After SAP2000, I tried also with Abaqus, and I get more or less the same results as SAP, so I believe there's something wrong in OOFEM, which differs of over 100 times!

Can you help on that? I tried all I was able to do.

EDIT 05 17: I changed the integration method among the ones available:
    TD_ThreePointBackward  =  0,     ///< Three-point Backward Euler method
    TD_TwoPointBackward    =  1,     ///< Two-point Backward Euler method
    TD_Newmark             =  2,     ///< Newmark-beta method
    TD_Wilson              =  3,     ///< Wilson-theta method

The best results (and very similar to SAP2000 with Newmark) is obtained with 0, while 2 and 3 seems to be broken (they give results too far to be acceptable).
Please tell which is the difference between 0 and 1, I know the general Euler method but I cannot figure out the difference between 0 and 1.

Post's attachments

2bays.in 70.9 kb, 7 downloads since 2017-05-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi,
I tried to run your simulation, but I am obtaining the same results for any value of ddtscheme (0-3). We have to first resolve this issue. What version are you using?

5 (edited by johnnyontheweb 23-05-2017 22:05:39)

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I'm using the version from my copy here. I cannot figure out why, I used your Git repo too under windows and it gives the same results in any case.

Can you suggest which files to check?

It seems that my copy of diidynamic.c is completely identical to yours, except that I added this to print reactions:

void
DIIDynamic::terminate(TimeStep *tStep)
{
    StructuralEngngModel::terminate(tStep);
    this->printReactionForces(tStep, 1);
    fflush(this->giveOutputStream());
}

EDIT: even if I revert such mod and I delete the added function ("terminate"), results are different.

EDIT2: I tried also with a version compiled from the official repo updated to the last commit of 6 days ago. Same problem as before (sorry, I said the opposite some lines above, but I noticed that I used an old .exe compiled BEFORE your fix for lumped masses in DIIDynamic). Can the compilation in visual studio in windows be the problem? Cannot figure out how do you get the same values for all the analyses.

If it could help, you can find attached the trials with the last oofem.exe compiled in windows with VS2013. If you compare the output files, you can find differences of 10 times in some Dofs.

Post's attachments

allDTs.zip 997.42 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

ok, got some insight now. I can obtain almost the same results (for different integration schemes) for displacements, for acceleration, there is some difference and more differences in accelerations. See attached figure showing the history of displacement, velocity and acceleration for node 7. Based on that I would say, that the agreement is good. The integration scheme 2 shows more differences, but I would expect that with reduced time step they should be reduced.
I compiled windows version using VisualStudio, ver 14 and got the same results.

Post's attachments

2bay.png 13.83 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

8 (edited by johnnyontheweb 26-05-2017 17:32:04)

I was intended that you was saying that all the results were identical. I was not expecting identical results, but very similar, since the model is simple and linear. Such differences in displacement with Newmark will give huge difference in beam internal forces (that's why I compared relative displacement between node 7 and ground).

I compiled windows version using VisualStudio, ver 14 and got the same results.

Do you mean that the result file you get for Wilson method is identical the to the ouput I attached in the last post? Because if not, I have some bad compilation settings.

EDIT: I compiled on Ubuntu and I get the same identical results than in Windows.
To me, the difference between DT 2 and 3 (Newmark and Wilson) and other methods continue to look strange.