Topic: How to simulate a 3D contact problem?

Hello,

If I want to simulate a 3D contact problem, I must use interface element.  That's right?
      But how can I define friction coefficient? What's the friction model in OOFEM? How to choose Lagrange or penalty function method? Is there any case about that ?

Re: How to simulate a 3D contact problem?

Hi,

the contact is currently under development. So far, penalty and lagrangian node-to-node contact in 2d are implemented, but without any friction. However, if your contact is predefined and you don't need to search where the contact occurs, you can use interface elements.

Kind regards,
Martin

Thanks for your reply and your contribution on FEM.  Actually, I want to simulation a 3D contact, but I am not sure if I can use interface elements. The problem is like this : it has initial gap, maybe friction. And I can predefine contact faces. Do you think interface element is OK for the problem? I'm not familiar with interface element and cohesive law. What's the difference between interface element and penalty?

Hi, since you can predefine contact faces it should be possible to use interface element, but it is difficult to answer without knowing the details.