Topic: Nonlinear beam model

We want to implement a nonlinear beam element based on plasticity, where moments, axial and shear forces are a nonlinear function of curvatures and strains.
We looked at Borek's and Mikael's comments in Beam3d and where wondering how to proceed now:
1) Should we use cross-sectional information (A, I) in the material model
or
2) should we implement the nonlinear equations (with status) in the cross-section.

Re: Nonlinear beam model

I am not sure which solution is more appropriate. Can you share some more details about the model? Just note that beam model with layered cross-section should be compatible with plastic materials.

Hi,
in general you have both options.
1) You can formulate material model directly in terms of forces and moments and strains and curvatures. Typically this is done for homogeneous cross sections (made of single material) but I have also seen these kind of models for concrete + reinforcement, then you need additional parameters determining position and properties of reinforcing bars, for example. This should be implemented as new material model, thus you can store history variables in associated status.
2) You can opt for slightly more refined model of cross section by regarding it as a section made of parallel layers (or fibres in 3d), where one can assign dimension and position to each layer as well as unique material model to each layer. The strains in layers are determined by beam kinematics. Then the response (beams expect to get forces and moments) is obtained by integration on the cross section level. The cross section introduces special integration rule to make this happen by looping over individual layers. Requires to develop new material model supporting stress strain state in layer. There are integration points for each layer, and material model for each layer can also store its history there.
There is working implementation of this concept (layered and fibred cross section models).  On the other hand, to account for inclined bars or stirrups would is somehow difficult. In this case I would go to 2d/3D model.

Dear Borek,

we are working on option "1) You can formulate material model directly in terms of forces and moments and strains and curvatures. " and were wondering how to access the sectional properties (A, I) in the material model. We have done it now by accessing information about the geometry of the cross-section directly from the element.
However, this does not seem to be done anywhere else in OOFEM. Therefore, we wanted to check if there is a recommended route to do it.

Thank you

Peter

PS: Do you have any references for the theory of fibre models (Option 2) implemented in OOFEM?

This should work to access sectional properties from a material

StructuralCrossSection *crossSection = static_cast< StructuralCrossSection * > ( gp->giveElement()->giveCrossSection());                                        
double area = crossSection->give(CS_Area, gp);
double Iy   = crossSection->give(CS_InertiaMomentY, gp);

Thanks. That's is what we tried first, but did not get the dictionary working.
Anyway, we managed to access it from the element for now. We will look at it later to get it also working via the cross-section as you outline.

Peter