Topic: Arbitrary component numbering - voting

Hello,

during my recent work on OOFEM load balancing engine, I has turned out that as a side effect it would be quite simple to implement the possibility for arbitrary, non-continuous numbering of nodes and elements.
The implementation will slow down little bit the initialization, one additional integer value per component will be allocated, but the solution performance should remain the same.
Another question is whether this should be an optional feature or whether this possibility will be assumed by default. Since I am not sure, if this is of general interest, I created a poll, where you can vote (you need to log in to see the poll, and you can vote only once).

Please reply to this topic to make your comments.

Borek

Re: Arbitrary component numbering - voting

Hi Borek

This would be really nice, since we could then delete elements and nodes in a given mesh without manual renumbering.

Peter

I do like arbitrary numbering since I usually import my meshes from ABAQUS or LS-DYNA input files where numbering is arbitrary. This would help me very much. Rather than that in my cases that usually notches and initial cracks, this way it would be much easier to delete an element and extend the notch.
So I think that adding this capability would be really helpful
Alireza

btw how does the voting work? it seems that I cannot vote sad
Alireza

Hi Alireza,

the pool is located here (http://www.oofem.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=198) at the beginning of the page (and most likely it is on the top of this page).  It looks like a simple web form, you simply select one of the predefined responses and submit your opinion. You should log in before, and you can vote only once. After voting, you can see voting statistics instead of pool application.
Let me know, if you will encounter any problem.

Borek

Hi Borek,

The problem is that I only see the results. Your voting application doesn't like me wink

Cheers
Alireza

Hi Borek,

I would like arbitrary numbering also (very useful). But just as Alireza, I cannot vote either. I can see the results & posts but  cannot vote.

Regards,
Osman

Hi,

voting is already closed. But the good news is that arbitrary numbering is already implemented and available in 1.9 version.
Borek